Oracle Database 10g Express Edition
Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE) is an entry-level, small database based on the Oracle Database 10g Release 2 code base that's free to develop, deploy, and distribute; fast to download; and simple to administer.
It is a free software with a download size of 150 MB .
What are System Requirements?
The following are the system requirements to install Oracle Database 10g Express Edition.
- RAM of 256MB or above
- HDD of 1GB.
- OS - Windows XP SP1 or Windows 2003 or Windows 2000 server SP 4
- MS Installer version 2.0 or later.
What should use this?
This product is meant for the following category of people. In fact, I am putting it in Oracle's own words:
Oracle Database XE is a great starter database for:
- Developers working on PHP, Java, .NET, and Open Source applications
- DBAs who need a free, starter database for training and deployment
- Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) and hardware vendors who want a starter database to distribute free of charge
- Educational institutions and students who need a free database for their curriculum
Currently this product is in its beta and production release is scheduled for early 2006 .
What are the steps to install?
Following the steps given below to obtain and install this product.
- Register in Oracle Technology Network. This is must to download Oracle.
- Download this product from Oracle Database 10g Express Edition
Note: Always use a download manager while you are downloading large files.
- You get a single file oraclexe.exe downloaded to your system.
- Install Oracle Database 10g Express Edition by double clicking on oraclexe.exe
- It should not take more than 15 minutes to do so. It doesn't ask any questions that you find perplexing. It is smooth and easy. Any beginner can do it.
The only question it asks is the password for SYSTEM and SYS accounts.
- Once it is installed successfully then go to start->programs->oracle database 10g express edition->Go to database home page and get started. You get browser based SQL*Plus.
- Login as SYSTEM with the password you have given at the time of installation and then unlock HR account.
If you are looking for SCOTT account, you will be disappointed, as it is not there. Never mind, you get HR account with
almost the same tables (with different names for tables and columns).
If you are a Java Programmer; see how you can connect to Oracle Database 10g Express Edition
Enjoy new product!