This website allows users to post reviews regarding books. Any user can search for books, see the reviews posted by others, but must log in to post review. If a user is trying to post a review
without logging in, user is redirected to login page to login first and then taken to add review page.
Only a few operations need user authentication. The rest of the pages can be accessed by any user.
The following are the topics of ASP.NET used in this project.
The following are the major operations in this application.
- Asp.Net 4.0
- C# Language
- SQL Server 2005/2008 Express Edition
- Visual Studio.NET 2010
- Layered Architecture with Presentation Layer (PL) and Data Access Layer (DAL)
- DAL uses LINQ to talk to SQL Server
- All database operations are done through LINQ To SQL
- ObjectDataSource is used in presentation layer to talk to DAL.
- DataList, FormView, ListView and GridView are used to display details
- CMailServer is used for mailing
- Master page and theme with stylesheet
- User Registration
- Password Recovery
- Change password
- Home Page - Lists available subject
- List of books based on a subject
- List of most popular books based on ratings given by users
- Add Review
- Search books based on title
- Display books along with all reviews and ratings
Steps to download, deploy and run this project
The following are the steps to be taken to run the existing part of the application.
- Download booksreviews.rar and unzip it into any directory in your system.
For example, if you extract to c:\ then it will create a directory c:\booksreviews.
- Open Visual Studio.NET 2010
- Open the project from the directory into which you extracted project. For example, c:\booksreviews
- Database (Database.dbf) is placed in App_Data and it contains required tables and stored procedures
- Go to Solution Explorer and make default.aspx the startup page.
- Run project from Visual Studio.NET 2010.
- You should see Default.aspx page.
- Create new user using registration page and then login with that user name and password
- Search for books and post review.
- Test the rest of the options.
Read more about:
user and books
Go FTP FREE