This website allows users to maintain their phonebook on the web. It allows registered users to add,remove and update phone entries. It provides a web service to allow other applications to get details about
users and their phone entries.
The following are the topics of ASP.NET used in this project.
The following are the major operations in this application.
- Asp.Net 4.0
- C# Language
- SQL Server 2005/2008 Express Edition
- Visual Studio.NET 2010
- Layered Architecture with Presentation Layer (PL) and Data Access Layer (DAL)
- DAL uses LINQ to talk to SQL Server
- All database operations are done through LINQ To SQL
- ObjectDataSource is used in presentation layer to talk to DAL.
- DetailsView, GridView are used to display details
- CMailServer is used for mailing
- Master page and theme with stylesheet and skin files
- User Registration with verification of username uniqueness using Ajax
- Password Recovery
- Change password
- Home Page - Search Phone Entries
- List of phone entries of the current user
- Add new phone entry
- Update phone entry
- Delete phone entry
- A Web Service to provide details of users and phone entries of a particular user
Steps to download, deploy and run this project
The following are the steps to be taken to run the existing part of the application.
- Download phonebook.rar and unzip it into any directory in your system.
For example, if you extract to c:\ then it will create a directory c:\phonebook.
- Open Visual Studio.NET 2010
- Open the project from the directory into which you extracted project. For example, c:\phonebook
- Create a local database named PhoneBook.mdf and create table using the script in tables.sql file
- Go to Solution Explorer and make default.aspx the startup page.
- Run project from Visual Studio.NET 2010.
- You should see login.aspx page.
- Create new user using registration page and then login with that user name and password.
- Add a few phone entries.
- Search for phone entries
- Select an entry and modify the details of the entry.
- Test the rest of the operations.